Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Making a Kiddush Hashem

What is the meaning of making a Kiddush Hashem? Some people think that a Kiddush Hashem is only when they do something that makes non-Jews say, “Wow! Look at the Jewish people! They are so special!” While this is a part of it, there is another part that is just as important, if not even more important.

A Kiddush Hashem is also in front of Jews, frum Jews - when someone does something that makes another Jew say, “Wow!! Look at what s/he did! I feel so lucky to be part of such a special nation!! I am so proud that I am a Jew!!”

We all have opportunities and chances to do something that will make someone else feel special about the fact that they are a Jew-when they see what we just did. Just by acting in a way that shows other people that you care, going an extra step to help someone out, any little thing that you do can really make an impression on someone else – and it’s not limited to non-Jews or Jews who are not religious-you can make a Kiddush Hashem. Here’s an example.

Today, I was in a clothing store and knocked something off the rack. I bent down, picked up the sweater, put it back onto the hanger and continued going. I don’t know if anyone saw what I did – and I was only doing it because it is mentchlach. It is the right thing to do. I was not doing it so someone should cheer at me and say, “wow!” and it was no big deal at all but I do know that if I would have just continued walking and left the sweater on the floor and someone would have seen that, they would get a bad taste in their mouth. It doesn’t matter if it was the non-Jewish woman refolding the shirts a few feet away from me. And it doesn’t matter if it would be the frum lady waiting on line to pay for her purchases. The point is that I made sure that I did the right thing – and if anyone would see that, they wouldn’t turn away with disgust (ugh, she just walked by and didn’t stop to pick it up? Where is her manners?!)

It is important to remember that whenever you walk outside, people are watching you. The frum Jews, the non-frum Jews, the non-Jews. Everyone is watching you. When you walk around in a skirt and long sleeves, keep in mind that you are representing our nation. So smile at the cashier and say, “How are you?” or hold the door open for someone who is walking behind you or offer to help someone who is carrying a whole bunch of bags.

There are many examples of things that make other people pass you smile and feel special that they are a Jew.

When I was younger, my mother showed us just a few examples of going the extra step to help other people. Whenever she saw someone walking down the street carrying a bunch of shopping bags, she would run over and help them and she'd even walk further than her destination, just because the other person was carrying bags that were too heavy for them to do alone. Or if she'd see a mother going up the stairs with her carriage, she'd run over and help the person up the stairs. All these things may seem little, but they are really huge because by doing small acts of kindness and helping others, she is giving that person a special feeling of, "Wow! I am so lucky to be part of such a nation who truly cares about other people."

There are loads and loads of examples of things that we can do to make a Kiddush Hashem and show the world what a wonderful nation we are. Anyone have their own examples or stories they want to share?

8 comments:

  1. I think a really important point in this Kiddush Hashem idea is to always remember you're a tzelem elokim, and that you represent G-d. With that in mind, every Jew must maintain his or her dignity and avoid doing something that will make him or her stoop low. One thing I find VERY hard understanding is the whole concept of "dressing up" on purim. People have totally distorted the whole idea of hester panim and vehnahapochu, and think that purim is an opportunity to dress up in whatever fashion they wish. I mean, why is Purim any different- to allow people to walk around dressed up as who-knows-what, attracting every head to turn in their direction? Isn't that a breach in the whole concept of tzniut? How is it a kiddush Hashem when people dress up as their favorite character from that movie? If I have the wrong outlook, please correct me, but otherwise, does my perspective make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. luv-I totally hear you! Just because people are doing something doesn't mean it is right! Dressing up as your favorite character from a movie-I don't think that's what the chachomim had in mind when they say we should dress up on Purim. Go to Bnei Brak on Purim and see what beautiful things people dress up as - a siddur, the kosel, a kohen gadol...Yes, they'll also have clowns and kallahs and Queen Esthers but that is what is meant to be - dressing up in a way that makes every head turn is, in my opinion, the wrong way to do it.

    With everything in life - you have to know how to do it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i asked a question a few weeks ago on the question answer forum-if possible would u pls be able 2 post an answer 2 my question? :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon-I am working on answering the questions one by one. Once I have the answer all typed up, I will post it here. I don't know which question you submitted but if you want, you can send it again and I will try to give your question preference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making a Kiddush Hashem is so important!!! Sometimes people really don't realize what they're doing and who is watching. What I find really hard is when I see a Jewish person making a chillul hashem... it really makes me feel sad when I think of what observers are thinking because of what they saw. And then I imagine what Hashem must be feeling like (not literaly). But when the opposite happens, when a Jewish person does something special and makes a favorable impression on others, I feel really proud to belong to Am Yisroel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the cool thing about being Jewish is that our good deeds are not just good deeds, they are mitzvot- commandments of Hashem and therefore when we do a mitzvah, we generate good feeling Bain Adam LiChavairo by doing a good deed AS WELL AS releasing kedusha into the world. ONLY JEWS have the ability to make a kiddush Hashem. It's such an incredible concept that we are so tied to G-d that every choice we make affects His prescence (how the world perceives His presence) in this world

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post on kiddush hashem! I read/heard once that the only thing we can do to rectify a chilul hashem (a sin that only death can be mechaper) is do make sure to create many kiddush hashem situations. so thank you for the chizzuk!

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?