Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hashem is holding my hand

Hi there! I’m a teenager, just like a lot of you guys. Most of you probably don’t know me- I live out here in Columbus, Ohio. But I recently had a crazy, life altering experience that Chaya Sara asked me to share with all of you, so here goes!
You know those moments in your life that are frozen in your memory forever? Sometimes you have a terrifying experience just a few seconds long and it keeps replaying over and over in your mind for days. Well, as I’m sitting here I can see the entire incident playing out before me in slow motion, each detail excruciatingly clear. I can still taste the fear and my stomach is churning at the memory. I don’t want to overburden you with background details so suffice it to say that my older sister is has just gone through a very stormy and turbulent divorce. She came home to us together with her daughter, a perfectly scrumptious 2 year old. This adorable child is the light of her life. I hate to play favorites, but somehow she managed to steal my heart like none of my other nieces can. Anyway, down to the story, it was a regular Sunday afternoon. I was outside in front of the house, when I suddenly heard terrified screaming. I turned to look and my blood ran cold. My X-brother-in-law was speeding down the street with my sister hanging on to the side of his car for dear life. It took me only a split second to realize that my dearly beloved, heavenly adorable niece was in the car BEING KIDNAPPED!!! I couldn’t scream, I couldn’t move. I could only stare in sheer horror as my sister was shoved to the side, almost being run over in the process, and the car disappeared down the street. My sister was shrieking hysterically, as you can imagine. My father had the presence of mind to jump into his car with her to chase after her X husband. My mother was screaming and crying in shock. And me? I was just about too traumatized to do anything but stare numbly at the empty spot on the street where my niece had stood just a minute ago.
And then suddenly, amidst the terrifying chaos I made a dive for the only secure thing in the world that still existed for me. My siddur. I yanked it open to perek chaf. Sobbing I repeated the words over and over again without stopping. “Yaancha Hashem biyom tzarah.” The minutes that followed were absolutely the scariest ones of my life. But I wouldn’t stop saying tehillim, not even for a second. I somehow had the feeling that my words were going to save us. My legs quivered like jelly but deep inside I was calm with the knowledge that Hashem was taking care of us. In those horrible moments of sheer desperation, I somehow felt him closer to me than ever before in my life. After what seemed like an eternity but could only have been a few minutes, the phone rang. I grabbed it instantly. “Sara Miriam”, my sister sobbed, “we have the baby!” I can’t describe to you the relief that those four words brought to us. It was like having a rush of cool water poured on me in the midst of a fiery heat. My family screamed with joy but I just whispered “Thank you Hashem. Thank you for listening to me.”
I’m sure you can imagine why I’m so traumatized every time I recall this experience. Even now, I am shaking. Yet at the same time a feel a reassuring squeeze on my hand. It is the hand of my father in heaven who will never ever let go. And I want you to know, that no matter what kind of crazy things are happening in your life, Hashem is right there beside you. Just reach out to him, let him take your hand, and you will see his miracles unfolding before your eyes.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that must have been really difficult to experience and witness. I'm so sorry...
    I'm glad that you came out of it feeling like Hashem is holding your hand and seeing the power of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a website www.divreichizuk.com that has inspiring stories and divrei chizuk for hard times and always. Feel Hashem's Presence with you...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you sooo much for sharing this story publicly even though it was hard for you!! LOOK HOW YOU TOOK THE HARDEST SCARIEST MOMENTS IN YOUR LIFE, AND YOU TURNED IT AROUNG TO BECOME CLOSER TO YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN! I THINK YOU TAUGHT US ALL A GREAT LESSON OF WHAT WE ALL COULD DO TO WHEN WE FEEL LIKE WE CANT DO IT ANYMORE...
    GRAB A HOLD OF HASHEM AND HE WILL BE RIGHT THERE FOR YOU!!
    YOU SEE IN THE HARDEST TIMES IS WHEN YOU NEED TO FIND HASHEM THE MOST! CUZ YOU HAVE NOONE ELSE WHO CAN DO IT THIS IS WHAT BUILDS THE RELATINSHIP!!
    may you feel him now with special simchos in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are the coolest ever!!!
    wow you have such inner strength how did you do that!! look at the powers that you have.To see that when you davened hashem was preparing your yeshua!! how do you become like this pls. put up a new blog for reg. girls like me to teach me how do i do this?????? what do you mean you just turned to hashem how were you not flipping out and just not even thinking abt anyone, mind you hashem????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi i want to shear my story of turning to Hashem when i needed His because there is no other way. My story is not a life traumatizing story but it is a time when I recognized that i needed Hashemes help nonetheless. it was at my bothers wedding a time when i should feel on top of the world all dress up get make-up, hair, grown you get it the works. but, i didn't like my make-up actually i hated it, you see she didn't have my colors it was too dark the lipstick was terrible and on top of that my gown was supposed to be altered because there was a sweat heart neck and it was too low but it wasn't altered enough. i was in short so unhappy, we were taking pictures and still i wasn't happy. we started taking pictures and it just wasn't working out for me. Then it was time to daven mincha i realized that i couldn't continue the night like that it supposed to be a happy night and i didn't wasn't to ruin it. so i went upstairs to daven and begged Hashem to help me feel good and happy and enjoy. i went back down feeling refreshed and ready to conquer the world. there is proof in the pictures from before i davened and after a davened and my facial expression even my family that didn't know about my feeling or talk with Hasheme but they all asked me- What happened? why are the pics look diff from the first batch and the secand. so talking to Hashem really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing that last post... It's a story I/we, in our regular everyday life, can relate to. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?