Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Personal Yetzias Mitzrayim - Part 3 (Conclusion)

In Israel I became closely connected to many caring and incredible people. I felt that their encouragement was genuine and they really believed in me. My mentors guided me patiently and showered me with love. They gave me the ability to love life, the Torah and most importantly, Hashem.

One incident that inspired me was when I was at the Kosel, and I noticed how people were pouring their hearts out to Hashem at the wall. This wall seemed like any other, and I wondered what made it so different that the people kissed it and cried to it with all their emotion. Every type of person would place a written note into the wall. I was so puzzled about what I had observed.

As I was inching my way up to the Kosel, I felt a rush of emotions inside my neshama. Although words cannot describe the feeling, Hashem suddenly opened up my heart and I began to feel an overwhelming connection pulling me toward Him, encouraging me to speak to Him. I felt a very strong pull and I, too, wanted to cry out to the wall. I did not know what overcame me, but I ran over to the wall as if I was meeting a friend I had not seen in years. And then I started crying and shaking as I kissed the Kosel with all my heart.

I felt Hashem pulling me to come and talk to him. I knew in my heart that Hashem was real. From that moment I told myself that I was ready to be Hashem's child and be closely connected to him. I had found the most loving father who was always ready to hear from me; I just had to invite him in. I knew I had found my way home, but that it would be a long journey to reach my destination.

For the first time in my life, I wanted to daven and reach out to Hashem. I felt a change slowly coming over me, and my heart began to unclog. I allowed myself to reach out, and I saw Hashem responding. When my boarding mother contacted me and said that she was experiencing a high-risk pregnancy, my reaction was to run to the Kosel on her behalf. Hashem answered my Tefilos, and she had a great nes; although she gave birth prematurely, the baby did not have any crucial complications. Hashem really showed me how he is always ready to help me I just have to come and ask him.


Once, the Aim Bayis of my seminary, took our class on a trip to the Flower Caves. When we were deep inside one of the caves, we could not believe the intensity of the darkness, especially since we did not come equipped with flashlights. We were screaming in fright, and it seemed to take us hours to find our way out. On the bus ride home, my Aim Bayis sat down near me, and we discussed the terrifying darkness we had experienced. She told me that if a person used his eyes in the wrong way and looked at things that he shouldn't see, he might have to return to this world as a blind person, groping in the darkness, in order to correct his misdeed. This conversation had a profound effect on me, and I started to think about a person's responsibility for his actions. "I can't just act the way I want. I will eventually have to answer for my behavior."

Yet, I could not simply escape the lure of the Yetzer Hara, nor could I extinguish the overpowering enticement to escape into a dreamy world of amusement and bliss. I felt my heart being tugged in opposite directions, and my mind was in a constant quandary.

Before leaving Eretz Yisroel, I wanted to daven and ask Hashem to support and guide me in my quest for autonomy and acceptance. I hired a sheirut to drive me to Har Hamenuchos, where I poured out my heart at the kever of my great-aunt. Then I went to the kever of the Chidah which was nearby, and continued to plead for Hashem's assistance. My heart felt like it would burst, and a waterfall of tears flowed from my eyes. Despite my intense emotions, I felt relief; it was as if a gigantic boulder had been lifted from on top of me. I was now ready to return to the States, equipped with these Tefillos and the knowledge that Hashem would surely remain standing alongside me throughout my ordeal.

When I returned after my year in seminary, I was able to leave go of my anger, and replace it with a calmer composure. It was a slow process and a daily challenge to overcome the temptations that I continued to encounter at every junction. I had to reject the attempts by my boyfriends to rekindle our relationship. I realized that my old friends were not the understanding, caring people I had thought them to be. I needed to search for a new group of friends, but I did not know how to begin. I was still too fragile; I did not yet have the stamina to overcome all these complex issues.

My parents felt I needed to solidify my Emunah, and build upon the foundation that had been laid in Eretz Yisroel. I went out-of-town to attend a second year of seminary, where I grew in ruchnius and developed a yearning for Torah and kedusha. I came home for Yomim Tovim, felt I could connect comfortably with my family and developed new friendships. I felt that I had been blind before, and now I had a pair of glasses that enabled me to see. I used these glasses to gradually and painstakingly find my path in life.

When I reflect back to my teenage years, I wonder why I felt so confused and out of control. What triggered me to become so bewildered, and why did I become entangled in a world of obscurity? One explanation, I believe, is that Hashem prepared me so that today I am able to help teens at risk, since I understand their emotional pain and identify with them in their search to find contentment.

Based on my challenging experiences, I rebuilt my life, using the past as a strong foundation for my future. I have a clearer perception of the struggles others are battling, and I am able to encourage and inspire them in a positive and loving way. I channel my kochos toward reaching out to students in kiruv schools, and speaking at special events and Shabbatons. I act as a mentor to girls who are seeking to find themselves and strengthen their connection to Hashem.

That’s the end of my story. The parts that you got to read – well, that was originally written up to be published somewhere but it never happened. So instead, I decided to share it with all of you. There are other parts and details to my story that were not written here and I do hope at some point to share some of it with you. One thing I did see is that Hashem is with you every step of your life, even when you feel so lost and so alone!! And now, I am able to help teenagers who feel hopeless and confused because of what I went through!!!

I would love to hear what you thought of my story and how you this inspired you...

9 comments:

  1. chaya sara no matter how many times i hear this story it makes me shake and cry its just soo amazing to see you now knowing that you were all that then....it gives me hope...and helps me realize that you truley understand where we teens are coming from!!! your story has such a powerful effect! it makes we want to do good..be good and change my ways..knowing that we had such similar struggles and thoughts helps me believe i can actually overcome them and then...one day like you help people/teens overcome their challenges with my story!!! thanks sooo much for sharing!! it makes such a diff...you have noooo idea**

    ReplyDelete
  2. theres absolutely nothin to say only tears can express the kind of impact u made on me Hashem should continue to giv u the ability to use ur koach to reach out and inspire everyone and anyone especially the precious searching teenagers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chaya Sarah, I'm sitting here crying away. I can't believe how you could have come so far!
    My best friend since kindergarten is having some issues now (some who am i kidding? She's totally not frum anymore) i used to think that there was really no hope for her after all the bad things she has done. But now hearing your story i really have hope!!
    Thank You so much for sharing your story! May you always continue to be a source of inspiration for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!! PLS CAN YOU WRITE WHCH PART WAS POWERFUL FOR YOU!! CUZ THEN IT ONLY HELPS ME KNOW WHAT OTHER GIRLS CAN GAIN FROM MY STORY! THE GOAL OF THIS STORY IS TO SHOW YOU ALL, THAT I CHECKED IT OUT FOR ANYONE WHO IS NOT SURE AND YOU HAVE MY FULL HASKAMA TO FOLLOW THE TORAH THERE IS NOTHING SWEETER IN THE WORLD!!!when you read this story you just get to see a glimpse of Hashems amaizing world!! HOW HASHEM CAN BRING BACK EVERY NESHAMA NO MATTER HOW FAR THEY ARE!! look what he wanted to happen to me, so that now i could have the strongest desire to show everyone how the only true happiness is a life filled with real emes which is the torah!!
    THE OTHER WORLD IS SHEKER!! SHEKER CAN NEVER EVR LEAD YOU TO INNER HAPPINESS CUZ IT HAS NO SUBSTANCE TO IT!! EMES ON THE OTHER HAND IS SO FULL OF REALNESS THAT WHEN YOU SEE HOW REAL IT IS THE ONLY THING YOU WANT TO DO IS EMRACE IT!! CUZ IT MAKES YOU SOOOO HAPPY!!
    I HAVE ALOT MORE TO SAY IF U HAVE ANY ?S PLS FEEL FREE TO ASK ITS MY GREATEST PLEASURE TO ANSWER YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I CAN NEVER THANK HASHEM ENOUGH FOR BRINGING ME BACK HOME TO A LIFE FILLED WITH THE MOST EXQUISITE DIAMONDS WITH EVERY STEP I TAKE!! HASHEM I BEG OF YOU THAT JUST LIKE YOU OPENED UP MY NESHAMA AND GAVE ME A GLIMPSE INTO YOUR OUTSTANDING WORLD,PLS. ALLOW EVERY GIRL THAT READS THIS TO BE ZOCHE TO GET A BURNING FIRE IN HER NESHAMA TO WANT TO BE SO CLOSE TO YOU FOR REAL!!!!
    HASHEM YOUR KINDERLACH LOVE YOU SO MUCH THEY JUST NEED YOU TO MAKE THE TORAH SOO SWEET IN THEIR PRECIOUS NESHAMOS!!
    THANK YOU HASHEM FOR THE GIFT OF TORAH IT IS THE GREATEST GIFT IN THE WORLD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2nd Anon - I just want to mention one thing. When you look at your friend who is totally not frum and you feel, WHAT CAN I DO?! Remember, there is one thing you can do! You can DAVEN to Hashem to bring her back! Because no matter how far a person has gone, no matter how low they have stumbled, there is a way back and she can come home!! If you feel like there is no hope, just remember that you have a loving father who wants her and you can have a part in that just by davening your heart out for her!! She has no clue what she is really missing out on in life!! Daven and plead and beg Hashem to bring her and all the other people who aren't lucky enough to know how precious and beautiful it is to follow the Torah back!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear chaya sara, thank you so much for sharing. it truly inspired me. thank you for always sharing your amazing inspiration to me and my class every word you say really makes a difference and brings us closer and closer to hashem. your words are truly powerful even without your story. thank you sooo much for everything you do and saving so many jewish girls. your whole story made a major impact on me ur the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CHAYA SARA THANK U FOR SHARING UR RLY AWESOME B"H!!!! CHAYA SARA REQUESTED I POST THIS AND WOULDN'T LET HER DOWN SO HERE GOES...I WAS TALKING TO SOMEONE RECENTLY AND WE WERE DISCUSSIN THAT AT TIMES BEING A TEENAGER COULD BE VRY HARD AND SHE SAID WOULDN'T IT B CONVINIENT IF THERE WAS A SHOT THAT PUT PPL TO SLEEP FRM 15-20 AND I THOUGHT ABT IT AND REALIZED IT WOULD B VRY CONVINIENT BUT THESE YRS ARE JUST WAY TO CRUCIAL TO GIVE UP ITS THE TIME WEN A PERSON BUILDS THEIR CHARACTER AND LAYS THE FOUNDATION FOR THE HOME THEY'LL BUILD IY"H ONE DAY. I SAID I WISH PPL WOULD REALIZE IT AND USE THESE YEARS CUZ THEY HAV AN ENORMOUS AMT OF POWER! SO NOW FOR EVERYONE HU X REALIZE I HOPE NOW U DO. FRM NOW ON EVRY TIME U WANNA COMPLAIN ABT THE STRUGGLES OF BEIN TEEN JUST TRY TO THINK OF IT THIS WAY MAKE HASHEM PROUD!! CHAYA SARA HOPE UR HAPPY THAT I POSTED THIS CUZ ITS X SO MY TYPE TO DO THESE THINGS (AND BTW IM A TEENAGER MYSELF SO X THINK I X UNDERSTAND)

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading your story after u told me some bits and peices and knowing how reaal and sincere and amazing abd cool and everything you truly aaare, i am in shock, in amazement and near to tears at how like a rubber band as far as its pulled one way it will spring forwards!the life u live and strive for, everythn i knw abt u leaves me gaping wen i hear wat u went thru!how precious YOUR neshama and tafkid is that the sattan was fighting sooo hard to catch you!rav hutner told his talmid who was in despair bec of his spiritual failings that "YOU ARE A TRUE WARRIOR..U MIGHT HAVE LOST THE BATTLE BUT UV WON THE WAR..EVERYONE KNWS OF THE GREATNES OF THE CHOFETZ CHAIM BUT WHO SPKS OF THE STRUGGLES, THE BATLES THE FAILURES THAT HE WENT THRU TILL HE BECAME THAT"wat i thnk is sooo amazing is how HASHEMMM brght u bak!i never undrstd the posuk that says Hashem wil bring us bak to teshuva but noww i see it bechush!its amazing how also wen u really undrstnd the severity ofhow bad it was to be disconnected to hashem u did not wallow in despair..cuz i cld very well see that being my reaction!i gatta go but have tonnz to write..but let me tell u frm ur life its clear that u have emerged victorious from this battle!i love u chaya sara!!i love u not just for who u are but for wat i am wen im with you!!keep up your amazing work..never let anythng stop u frm doing wat's right!and dont ignore me wen mashiach comes tomorrow and u get the front seat w all the tzadikim of all time!!!chizki ve amtzi!!

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?