Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Nine Days

We are now at the start of the nine days, the days when many tzarros befell Klal Yisroel. Yet many of us just forget what this time is all about. We go on with our daily lives and almost continue regularly as if everything is fine and dandy. Of course, we make sure to find out what our family "holds" but is that all there is to it? Do we realize what the meaning is behind the nine days?!

These days begin with Rosh Chodesh and lead up to tisha b’av, the day of the churban Bais Hamikdosh. They are compared to Hashem’s shiva. That’s right! Hashem is sitting shivah for His Bais Hamikdosh! His house, His palace was destroyed and He is mourning!

I remember when I sat shivah for my younger brother, a"h. It was almost four years ago. (Oh how time flies...!) Was I interested in music? Did I care to take a shower? Did a thought enter my brain to put on makeup in the morning or go shopping?! I was sitting shivah for my brother, it was time to remember him and focus on all the things he did in his life and NOTHING else mattered! I didn’t think about music or shopping! I was concentrating on the loss and the lesson I was supposed to learn from it. I was thinking about what message Hashem wanted me to take from this difficult tzarah.

The Bais Hamikdosh was destroyed! Hashem is sitting shivah! Is it time to think about music or shopping? Or should we focus on the message we can take from the fact that the Bais Hamikdosh still was not rebuilt? Is it time to look in the mirror and count our pimples or check out how pretty we look? Maybe we should take a good look in the mirror and check deep inside ourselves, way deeper, into our neshama and ask ourselves: What can I do to bring Moshiach one step closer?! How can I change myself in areas of bein adam l’makom and bein adam l’chaveiro?
Maybe I can dress and act in a more refined manner.
Maybe I can speak to my parents, siblings or children with more respect.
Maybe I can be more careful with the words I say and watch the way I speak about other people.
Do I need to work on controlling my temper?!
Is there someone who gets on my nerves who I should start acting a bit nicer to?!
Does my tefillah need a little more kavanah?!
Do I kiss the mezuzah every time I pass it and think, "I love you Hashem. Thank you for all the gifts you have given me."?!
Am I careful to say each bracha slowly before I eat?! And how about when I’m done? Do I rush to bentch so I can hurry on with my day?!
Am I always looking to change and grow and become a better person?!
I think it’s time to do some serious soul-searching. It’s time to think about what we can change. It’s time to act.
We have no time to wait.
We need Moshiach. Badly.
In the zechus of the changes you make, may we all be zoche to meet in Yerushalayim and celebrate tisha b’av as a Yom Tov this year! Amen!

1 comment:

  1. my teacher told me that when moshiach comes we won't be happy- we'll be terrified! only tzadikim will be able to greet moshiach with joy. I am not a tzadik by any means and now i don't want moshiach any more. Help!

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?