Monday, July 6, 2009

Don't Worry


"Worrying is like a rocking chair, it keeps you going but gets you nowhere."

I was thinking about this when I was worrying about something. I kept thinking, "what if this happens?!" and "what if that happens?!" and then I said to myself, "You know, there are so many things that could go wrong but don't and all you have to do is put your trust in Hashem. Hashem loves you and only has the best things in mind for you. All you have to do is believe in Him."
I had to keep thinking these thoughts and reminding myself that I am totally in Hashem's hands. Hashem loves me and wants to keep me happy so why should I worry so much? And besides, it's true that worrying won't accomplish anything productive at all! All it does is make you nervous. And that wont really get you very far!!

So why do I worry so much? I think it's because I need to strengthen my emunah in Hashem. Because if I really trusted that Hashem only wants to make me happy and only wants to do good for me, I wouldn't worry so much. In fact, I wouldn't worry at all!! Now, it's easy to say that I shouldn't worry at all, but there are things on my mind and I do think about the things that could go wrong in my day, in my week ahead and in the month that is coming along. But no! Hashem does not want us to spend our time worrying and thinking negative thoughts. He wants us to think positive and trust in Him. Thinking positive is very productive because then you want to follow your thoughts.

It's like this: If I wake up in the morning thinking, "Oh no! It's raining outside! It's gonna be a horrible day..." then, yes, chances are that my day wont turn out so nicely. But if I wake up that same morning and say, "Modeh Ani! Thank you Hashem that I am alive and healthy! Hey! It's raining outside! I'll take an umbrella and I'll be fine." The rain didn't go away but my attitude is what will make all the difference!

So next time you have thoughts that make you nervous, think about the rocking chair, it just moves back and forth, back and forth...but doesn't get you anywhere! That's what worrying is like, it keeps you thinking those same, "what if" thoughts again and again but you end up in the same place, without moving at all!

11 comments:

  1. beautiful thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first thank you for the beautiful article and thank you for taking your time to writ it s that we will have inspiration and strengthen our emuna.


    Yes, worrieing is a bad thing but, on the other hand if i didn't worry i would do alot of the wrong thing for example: if i wasn't worried that i would get caught i would drive without a license.
    if i wasn't worried that i would get hit by a car i would just walk across a street without looking. Ofcorse you can't walk around worring about everything because then you will never do anything but, you do have to worry a little.

    li'lay nishmas Reb Yehracmel Yisrel Ben Shimin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - I don't think that is called worrying. I think that is called acting with caution. You are being smart by not walking across the street without looking. Are you doing that because you are worried? Or are you doing that because you are being cautious? There's a difference, I think! You are taking the right measures to make sure you don't end up in trouble.
    I think worrying is more like thinking about things that could go wrong that are totally out of your control - all the "what if's" in your life. Like, "what if I..." Also, this doesn't accomplish anything productive. It's okay to be normal, like in your examples, not crossing against your light, or looking before you cross the street or driving with a license!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK you have a point you got me. there is a difference. thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But worrying can bring you to daven like you worry about the future about lets just say for example parnsa and there for you daven if you were confident then you might now necessarily daven. So what is that called if its not worrying it Hishtadlus having bitacon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a good point there! Maybe that's why Hashem put the concept of worrying into the world - so that we could daven better!!

    But, I'm sure we agree that a person who had more faith in Hashem would worry less or wouldn't worry at all. And that doesn't mean s/he wouldn't daven well - there is a lot to daven for even if a person is 'confident' about certain things. And the truth is, that a person who, let's use your example, has parnassa and also has very strong faith in Hashem and doesn't worry etc. - that person also knows that there is no guarentee. So that doesn't mean he is worried about parnassa but he knows that it is not in his hands and he has to keep davening that Hashem let him continue to be successful!

    Also, davening isn't only about asking Hashem for things we want; it's also about praising Hashem and thanking Him constantly for the things we have!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how they say you can't really understand something till you expirance it. well having this idea of worrying fresh in my mind thinking about it from this blog. i just got back from six flags and while i was there my friend kept saying what if the strap open i can fall right out, what if its too loose i mean my life is on this. she was so busy WORRYING she wasn't able to enjoy it. i was thinking this is what the blog meant there was no point in worrying she got no where. it was so counter productive just worrying like that for no reason, while i was enjoying the ride worry free.

    L'ilay nishmas R Yehrachmel Yisrel Ben Shimin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that! It's exactly what I meant...worrying about things you have no control over in a way that makes you lose out and also, then you can't enjoy the good you have because you are too busy worrying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. B'Siyata D'ShmayaJuly 9, 2009 at 1:43 PM

    I receive 2 daily halachos from www.HalachaForToday.com . Recently, somebody asked this question which pertains to our discussion so I decided to share it.
    (If you'd like to receive this daily email, you can sign up on the website.)

    Reader's Question:


    Is it an aveira (sin) to be worried or nervous, because it says to trust in Hashem as a commandmet and being worried isn't trusting in Hashem.

    Answer:

    Well, that is an extremely high level, and one that we as religious Jews should strive for our entire lives. If you learn the Sefer Chovos Halevovos (and every frum jew should read this sefer!) it will help you understand, internalize and make you feel Bitachon as a real thing!

    Yes, Hashem is in charge and in total control of this world, and nothing -bad or good- can happen without Him willing it so. Yes, technically we should never worry, and simply place our trust in our all powerful Father in heaven who loves us and watches over each and every one of us.

    As long as you are striving to reach this level, even if it takes you many years or even a lifetime, it isn't an "Aveira" to worry or be nervous. However, if one worries too much and forgets about Hashem and doesnt at least try to place his/her trust in Him, it may indeed be a sin.

    This topic is a very exhaustive one, and beyond the scope of an email. I do suggest reading sefarim/books on the topic of Emunah/Bitachon to help you grow in this important area. (The classical work by the Chazon Ish Zatzal entitled "Emuna U'Bitachon, for one (they have translated that into English as well), Rabbi Avigdor Miller Zatzal has some excellent books on these topics as well as many other Hebrew and English books by many great authors that can be found in any Jewish book stores)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow this article is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?