Wednesday, July 1, 2009

P.U.S.H.

Over a year ago when I was going through a difficult time I kept asking my friend, "What does Hashem want from me?!?!" I felt completely out of control, feeling there was nothing I could do to change my situation. My friend wrote for me on a post-it, "I believe Hashem believes in me" (a line taken from a song) and I put it in my calendar so I could always see it. Then, my friend sent me this article in a card which answered my question of what exactly Hashem wants from us when we feel hopeless. I hope that this will help anyone else who is going through a difficult time and feels the same way I did.
A man was sleeping at night in his cabin when suddenly his room filled with light and Hashem appeared. Hashem told the man He had work for him to do and showed him a large rock in front of his cabin.
Hashem explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might.
So, this the man did, day after day. For many years he toiled from sun up to sun down, his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all of his might.
Each night the man returned to his cabin sore and worn out, feeling that his whole day had been spent in vain.
Since the man was showing discouragement, the Satan, decided to enter the picture by placing thoughts into the weary mind:
"You have been pushing against that rock for a long time, and it hasn't moved."
Thus, he gave the man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure.
These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man.
Satan said, "Why kill yourself over this? Just put in your time, giving just the minimum effort, and that will be good enough. That's what the weary man planned to do, but decided to make it a matter of prayer and to take his troubled thoughts to Hashem.
"Hashem" he said, "I have labored long and hard in your service, putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock by half a millimeter. What is wrong? Why am I failing?"
Hashem responded compassionately, "My friend, when I asked you to serve Me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all of your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push. And now you come to Me with your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. Is that really so?
Look at yourself.
Your arms are strong and muscled,
Your back sinewy and brown;
Your hands are callused from constant pressure,
Your legs have become massive and hard.
Through opposition you have grown much, and your abilities now surpass that which you used to have. True, you haven't moved the rock. But your calling was to be obedient and to push and to exercise your faith and trust in My wisdom. That you have done. Now I, my friend, will move the rock."
At times, when we hear a word from Hashem, we tend to use our own intellect to decipher what He wants, when actually what Hashem wants is just a simple obedience and faith in Him.
By all means, exercise the faith that moves mountains, but know that it is still HaShem who moves mountains.
When everything seems to go wrong...just P.U.S.H.!
When the job gets you down... just P.U.S.H.!
When people don't react the way you think they should... just P.U.S.H.
When your money is "gone" and the bills are due... just P.U.S.H!
When people just don't understand you... just P.U.S.H.

P= Pray

U= Until

S= Something

H= Happens


This article has such a powerful message! Sometimes, we are not meant to make BIG things happen, all we have to do is do try, put in the effort - because in reality, the outcome is up to Hashem!!! And when we go through difficult times, we become stronger!! We are not looking to see what great things we have accomplished, rather, we are looking to see what we became as a result of what we went through!!
Thank you sfashkenaz for this post!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that was really great you put the meaning behind being Jewish and what it means to keep the Torah AND DO THE Mitvos in one article. THANXS

    ReplyDelete
  2. From experience, i can say that this is so true. From the most challenging things that i went through, i can honestly say i have grown the most. Without all those challenges i would not be half of what i am 2day. And as much as i didn't ask for the challenges or want them, once i got them i knew that if i was given them i might as well use them as aids because, otherwise i would be going through a hard time for nothing if i wouldn't be gaining from them, right? So as hard as a challenge is, as long as i did what i had to do P.U.S.H, i new i was o.k and with it i also became who i am.

    L'ily Nishmas R' Yehrachmil Yisroel Ben Shimin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a small request from those leaving comments.
    Can you please give yourself a name before you post a comment? This way, it will make it easier to respond to your comments, instead of having to write, anono1, anono2 etc.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi i just want to day one time i was davening for something nothing that seemed too major i just wanted to go somewhere so everyday i would daven and daven for it really hard for about 3 months then the coolest thing happened i was davening in school one day and all of the sudden the most amazing thing happened i can't really explain it or put it into words but, basically i felt my nashama go up and i felt that Hashem answered my Tefflos. its not explainable. But as im reading this article i see that that is what i did I P.U.S.H(ed) Prayed until something Happened i not only prayed but i totally felt the answer. and davening was the only thing i could do there was nothing physical that i could do i wasn't the one arranging things or involved at all and it wasn't my place but, i knew that all i had to do was Daven and now the new word P.U.S.H. i really thought that i wouldn't happen logically it made no scene at all that it could happen i totally thought i was just a fantasy that would be nice if it would happen but most probably wouldn't. but i wanted it so i P.U.S.H(ed) and it worked. Thank you for this i really really enjoyed it. Everything all the sudden is much more clearer and bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it over again last night and wanted to tell you that it's ok if you want to remain anonymous when you post a question or comment so if you want to give yourself a name, that will make it easier to respond but I totally understand if people want to remain anonymous!!
    Thanks everyone for posting your comments and letting others hear what you think and sharing your stories!
    Good shabbos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this was the best
    I can say from my own experiences
    that when I put all my strength into Hashem it was then where Hashem helped me when everything seemed to be going wrong and the light light @ the end of the tunnel was not there or extremely dim.Hashem just want to
    here from his precious children
    so just call HIM!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
    I love it I can say from my own
    life situations that when I felt I like this is a good time to give up and I continued to p.u.s.h those where the times that I felt most connected to Hashem I felt like such a Daddy's girl it was awsome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I can, lulei demistafina, appreciate this story on its own terms, it does have its limitations. Hashem generally gives us productive tasks - though even (perhaps, especially) in those cases our job is to do what He asks and not be concerned with results necessarily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was amazing- just today i felt so worn out beacause i've been going through a very hard time and i feel like i got NOWHERE with anything and i just wanted to give up on life. now i know that it's O.K. as long as i keep pushing on. thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!!!! this is soooooooooooooo true. thank you sooooo much for the inspiration!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?