Tuesday, December 8, 2009

One Thank You

Firstly, I want to thank each and every person who voted on the poll on the right. I appreciate the feedback and it's good to know what people want to hear! After all, the purpose of this blog is to keep you inspired, so the best way to do it right is to write things that you want to read about.

So far, I see that a lot of votes went for "change/growth" which I think is so special!! Hashem, look at your special children! They all want to change and grow and become better! They are looking for inspiration and want to come closer to you! What do they want to hear more about?! Your children want to know how they can change, how they can grow, how they can become better!!

There are many areas in which we can all improve. I would like to try to choose different areas and address specific topics to change and grow in. For today (or should I say tonight?!), I'm going to do something which can really be life-changing, if you really do it right and take this seriously.

We have so much good, so much bounty, so many "extras" in our lives. There is so much to thank Hashem for, it is not normal! Did you ever notice how much we have?! Take a look next time you go grocery shopping - look at the aisles and aisles and shelves full of food. There are so many choices out there! You wanted to buy a little snack? Well, there are all kinds of snacks and depending on your taste, you can find so many different varieties of foods...you'll see super snacks (in how many flavors?), potato chips - rippled, bar-b-q, honey-bar-b-q, ketchup potato chips, onion garlic...How many choices of cereals are there? So many different companies, choices, flavors, colors and shapes! Did you ever think about what a bracha this is? Hashem has showered us with so much good - we have to just open up our eyes and see it! There are so many brands for each food item we want, ketchup, pasta, cheese, orange juice - wait, how many choices of drinks are there these days?! Snapple, soda, even water! You can choose what flavor water you'd like to drink! Is this not chasdei Hashem? Can't you just feel Hashem's love when you see all the choices He gave you?!

So for today, I'm asking you to challenge yourself. Give yourself a specific time of day (right when you wake up in the morning, while you brush your teeth, while you eat breakfast, on your way to school/work, at recess/lunch break, on your way home from school/work, while you prepare supper, a few seconds after you are done eating supper, while you get ready for bed or those few seconds you have before you close your eyes and drift off...or you can choose any other time of day that works for you) and at that time, tell Hashem THANK YOU. Say, Hashem, I want you to be a part of my life. I will now take this time to Thank you for ONE thing that went right today or for ONE thing I am grateful for. (You can change the number to two, three or four, if you'd like, I'm just trying to make this as simple as possible so everyone can feel that they can do it.)

See how long you can keep this up for. You did it for a day? Great! A week? Even better! Each time you thank Hashem, you are growing in your relationship with Him and becoming a better, happier person. You are appreciating the gifts Hashem gave you - and that is something special!

I'm not giving any other ideas for now - I'll wait and see what you can come up with. If you would like to share your thoughts, I'd love to hear it! What are you thankful for?!

The list can be endless...

10 comments:

  1. I'm gonna be the first to comment on my own post :). Thank you Hashem for helping me write this post and for making it come out good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran out of shampoo in the shower and thought "uh oh. crisis!" but then i realized that barely a hundred years ago, NO ONE stood in spacious shower, with thick streams of heat ed water that would last as long as they wanted, with an array of shampoos, conditioners, bodywashes etce etc i arm's reach in whatever color, scent, hairtype desired! The lifestyles we lead are filled with crazy amounts of bounty

    ReplyDelete
  4. SECRET ADMIRER CAN YOU GUESS!!!!December 9, 2009 at 3:14 AM

    THANK YOU HASHEM FOR THE GIFT CALLED DEVOIRY!! YOU ARE SOO UNREAL I CANT GET OVER HOW EVERY MIN. YOU THINK OF NEW IDEAS AND NEW INCREDIBLE IDEAS TO ADD TO OUR BLOG! YOU INSPIRE SOO MANY GIRLS WITH THIS BLOG ITS BRINGING SO MUCH GOODNESS AND CLARITY TO SO MANY DIFF. PRECIOUS NESHAMOS! MAY YOU BE ZOCHE THAT ALL THE INSPIRATION YOU GIVE US SHOULD BRING MANY NESHAMOS HOME TO HASHEM! AND YOUR TZADDIK SHALOM BARUCH SHOULD GROW UP TO BE A REAL PERSON WHO RUNS AFTER PEACE AND IS A BRACHA TO THE WORLD, TO HASHEM, YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND!!!HE IS SOO LUCKY TO HAVE A MOMMY THAT LIVES INSPIRED ALL THE TIME AND ALWAYS THINKS ABOUT HOW TO BE MEKADESH SHEM SHAMAYIM!!
    YOU ARE OUR GIFT!! THANK YOU HASHEM THAT DEVOIRY INSPIRES MY STUDENTS TO WANT TO MARRY FRUM GYES BEC. SHE TELLS THEM HOW BEAUTIFUL THE TORAHS WAY OF LIFE IS!!!
    YOU ARE A LIGHT TO OUR FAMILY AND TO EVRYONE WHO GETS THE ZECHIS TO KNOW YOU!!!
    THANK YOU HASHEM!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every morning, when I wake up, my mommy says Modeh Ani with me. Then, we say thank you to Hashem for all the good things that I have...
    We say:

    Thank you Hashem for giving me back my precious neshama.
    Thank you Hashem for waking me up in the morning.
    Thank you Hashem for giving me a mommy and tatty who take care of me and wake up for me at all hours of the night.
    Thank you Hashem for giving me ten fingers to look at, play with and suck.
    Thank you Hashem for giving me ten toes to play with.
    Thank you Hashem for all the toys I have to play with.
    Thank you Hashem for making me so precious and so cute.
    Thank you Hashem for giving me a delicious, yummy smile.

    -Shalom Baruch

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for sharing!!!! thank You Hashem for putting ppl like chaya sara and devoiry on this world and for making me part of the most special nation (its no wonder were called the treasured nation )!!!! i think that wen focusing on changing/growing this is probably the best place to start
    bec having hakaras hatov is such a funmedamental concept in buliding a strong lasting relationship with the ribono shel olam! we begin to realize how much good we hav and recognize where it all coms from as a plus it becomes so much easier to accept wen something doesnt go the way had in mind. when life gives you 100 reasons to cry show life you hav 1000 reasons to smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or how about medicine? The littlest body discomfort, you pop a pill and soon, poof! no pain! You swallow tiny capsules that in your body fix up whatever's bothering you! Miraculous! Get well in no time! What a gift form Hashem! He is the real creator of all medicines that come out- as it says in Birchot Shema- Borai Refuot. He just gives scientists and doctors the intelligence and the ideas how to deal with sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only I could be 1/60th as good a mother as Devoiry is, I'd be happy. Not everyone is so lucky to have a mother who constantly looks to connect with Hashem and acknowledge His kindnesses. SB, you're very blessed ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You Hashem for my two-hour delay starting school this morning and the really fun bus ride on the way to school and the great idea my teacher gave me for my math paper and the fact that the delay gave me time to get a head start on studying and . . .
    The list goes on and on.
    This post is a great and much-needed reminder.
    I'd like to add that at the bais yaakov convention last year, someone suggested thanking Hashem for a few things before modim in shemonah esrai. (I wasn't there, but I heard about this, and it's really helped to boost my hakarat ha'tov.)
    And for those times when you're feeling grateful, perek kuf (100) of tehilllim is a short perek and a great way of saying "thank You" to Hashem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just want to mention, I did hear that thing about saying thank you to Hashem during modim and I used to do it too, but now that I am a mommy and usually don't get to daven Shemona Esrei, I thought this would be the best way to still remember to thank Hashem, by choosing a specific time and sticking to it every day!

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?