Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Mindfulness

The following article was written by Sarala. Her message is so relevant and practical. I hope you will enjoy it and gain from it as much as I did!

Mindfulness:
The Space and Pause of Life

Mindfulness is that buzz word that’s getting increasingly popular in today’s vernacular. It’s a popular form of therapy and is being used by many people. At first, I didn’t like Mindfulness. It required a lot of work which I didn’t like. But, as I learnt more about it, I became very fond of it and appreciated its benefits. So, what is Mindfulness, you ask? Mindfulness is defined as focused attention. It’s simply focusing our attention on the here and now; on the present moment. It’s being present and fully engaged in whatever it is that we’re doing. In other words, the goal of mindfulness is to center oneself and feel grounded.

Among many benefits, Mindfulness has the power to increase our ability to focus and offer us an inner sense of peace. When we mindfully engage in daily activities, we feel a sense of purposefulness and are calm, centered and grounded. Personally, I try to practice it when I need a break and to slow myself down. For instance, I practice it when I’m waiting for my bus to come (and I have nothing better to do other then look at my phone ;). I’ll notice the temperature, the green grass, the cars going by, the design of the houses around me and many more aspects of my surroundings. I find that this brief “vacation” gives me the space that I need. It puts a temporary pause on life and brings me back with a clearer mind. I like to think of it as the pause between the stimulus and response.  

Mindfulness also has a place in the Torah. In fact, Mindfulness enhances our ability to live as Torah true Jews. Increased focus allows us to perform Mitzvas at optimum level. For example, I try to slow down and focus when davening Shemona Esrai. I like to understand the meaning behind the words and to simply remind myself Who I’m talking to. Similarly, I try to channel my concentration when reciting Asher Yatzar and thank Hashem that I can say it.

However, with all this said, it’s all too easy to let our mind wander (which it does a lot!) and mentally prepare ourselves for whatever we want to do next. For me, one part of me wants to focus on the activity at hand, and the other part wants to get on with my next activity. Both options leave me feeling frustrated and annoyed. If I know that my task at hand needs my focus, then why is my attention in 10 other places? But that’s precisely the challenge of mindfulness! The good news is that the more we practice and refocus our attention, the better we’ll get at it. As they say, practice makes perfect. (I hear my phone buzzing right now, but I’m practicing what I’m preaching and trying to stay focused ;).)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I think mindfulness is just what we need in our generation. When we have our phones to keep us busy whenever we feel bored, mindfulness comes to show us we can live in the moment and actually enjoy it. We don't have to be on our phones each time we have a free minute.
    Thank you for this important and well written message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment! I'm in total agreement with you and think it's a great idea to practice it more often.

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?