Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Everyone can change no matter how broken you feel!

Someone sent a letter to her counselor and she wanted me to see it so she sent me a copy of it. I want you to read it so that you can see how everyone can change no matter how far they have gone! At any moment you can decide to invite Hashem into your Neshama and live for real!!!!
Dear counselor,
I just want to thank you for all you have done for me.I remember those hopeless nights when I would bitterly cry myself to sleep. I wished I would never wake up again. It’s funny, almost. There I was, the girl who had everything- Smart, fun, popular and wacky. But it was all a sham. I lived a double life. On the outside, I was always happy and content, breezing through high school without a care in the world. But on the inside, there was only darkness and despair. I had so many questions; so many things didn’t make sense to me. I hated myself and I hated the whole world. I was so confused. I davened to Hashem to help me make sense of it but the darkness only got stronger and stronger. So I just slowly stopped believing that he was there at all. I despised Judiasm, it was a cage for me, a bunch of torturous rules that I didn’t understand. I was so depressed. And nobody knew, not even my parents. I didn’t trust them to understand. It was just me, struggling alone in that wild tornado. There were times when I really thought I would have a nervous breakdown. In school, I was constantly yelled at. I was always acting up and getting myself into trouble. It got to the point where I was always assumed to be the source of any commotion and was embarrassed in public for things I had never done. They couldn’t see that the crazy things I did were in order to distract myself from the horrible darkness that would creep up on me whenever I was alone with my thoughts. They never realized how starved I was for warmth and love. At night, when I could no longer run from myself, I used to dream of peace, and imagine fantasy lands where I was loved. I dreamed of running away, far from my home and the religion that I so despised. And the next day, I would paste the smile on my face and pretend everything all over again. I must have done a really great job of it, because nobody ever dreamed that beneath my carefree exterior my heart was dying a slow death. Do you know what it’s like to have to pretend day in, day out that you are the happiest girl when inside you are shattered in to a million and one pieces? I gravitated to the internet, immersing myself in it to numb the pain I was in. And so I slid, closer and closer to the point of no return, with nobody to catch me.
You saved my life. You understood the things that nobody else could. I can’t get over how much you care about me. You lead such a busy life but whenever I talk to you, I feel like I’m the only thing in the world that matters. I’m not embarrassed to tell you about issues that I have- you are the most understanding person in the world. For real. I guess because you went through it yourself you always seem to know exactly what I’m talking about. You never judge me; you just love me with unconditional love and accept me just for the way I am. My teachers thought I was a troublemaker and my parents had visions of a role model student that I knew would never come true. But you think I’m special just for the way I am. I’m starting to think positively about myself for the first time in my life. You guided me to see how Hashem is really there every second of my life holding my hand and surrounding me with his love. You opened up a new door for me, and I can see that Judaism is not a cage- it is wings on which I can soar. I love being Jewish now- do you get it? I LOVE BEING JEWISH! I never thought I would in a million years. It’s a whole new life that I’m living now, so full of sunshine and joy. I still cry though, for all those kids out there who are still stuck in the darkness, who hate themselves, who don’t know of Hashem’s great love for them. I’ll bet half of them are pretending like I did and some kids probably don’t even realize that their missing anything. I’m not the only one with questions- everybody needs answers. You gave me the gift of being able to love the life I’m living and to love the purpose for which I was created. I wish you could give that gift to every other Jewish teenager in the world. There is just no other gift quite as exquisite.
When I smile now, I feel it down to the bottom of my heart and when I laugh, it’s a real laugh that bubbles up from inside of me. I’m beginning to find peace, with my father in heaven, with my life, and most of all with myself. Nothing changed around me, the problems in my life did not disappear, only I changed inside and that is all that matters. The fantasy land I imagined is open before me. Thanks to you I’m beginning to leave my dream.

I also want to show you the things that gave her strength to start all over again.
If you see someone in pain pls look at her and love her, understand her, encourage her and then you can help more ppl.
pls comment on this since many ppl. will gain from your ideas.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!! this was such an emitonal e-mail i literaly cried, this girl is totally right, your amazing idkvhow u do well actually i know its cuz u and Hashem r extremly tight, you have such a special connection to Him, i wish i could do what you do, ur amazing i look up to u & im sure many people do. Continue ur awsome work, ur changing the world & remember what u told me? '' theres sum one holding up the world'' to me, that person is u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah!!!!!
    What a powerful message! It is amazing how one person can make such a difference in someone's life! We all should look out for others who need to be shown love and care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM ABSOLUTELY AMAZED!!!!!!!!!!!
    the power u have to save a person from certain death literaly just by caring and loving and understanding! there goes the paychecks of all those psycologists!
    it is really scary how we do not know what is going on inside a person even when she seems to be living a perfect life. i remember a couple of years back thinking "i am not so bad at making lonely girls or those types feel wanted.. but i could never give a compliment or try to lift one of those ultra popular girls. they didnt need it. did they?
    untill our teacher mrs kroizer was speakin to our entire school in mid october (maybe evn earlier)in middle of her speech she made us all put our heads down and told us to raise our hands if we never not evn once felt left out or "alone" in school from the first day of school (mind you it was only like 5 weeks)
    when we put our heads up she (and the principal testified) said that two girls raised their hands. what does mean????
    everyone needs to be loved even someone that seems like she is the one who has got it all and she is the popular one.. as a high school girl it gave me a lot to think about and change.

    i think i need a lot a lot a lot of reinforcement of making the love between me and hashem a real two way relationship. i mean i say it all day but i feel like maybe....i dunno.. i just need to make it real that i know its real cuz if it was why am i still worried and not thankful as i should?
    please if u have advice!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

You made it to the end of this post! What do you think about it?